The New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival (NYCEMF) is the largest showcase of electroacoustic music in New York City, and one of the largest festivals of its kind in the world. The festival began in 2009 with the intention of bringing the most innovative and creative new electroacoustic music from around the world to New York City. Works are presented in high-quality multi-channel surround sound environments that include up to eight different simultaneous sound channels, and sometimes many more. The festival includes music performed by acoustic musical instruments, laptops, and custom electronic devices, as well as works involving digital video, and sound installations.
The works presented each year are chosen by a panel of internationally respected composers and musicians.
The festival also features performances from a wide variety of internationally-known specialists in contemporary experimental music. Featured performers have included cellist Madeleine Shapiro, clarinettist Esther Lamneck, pianist Keith Kirchoff, the C4 Choral Ensemble, and Patti Cudd, percussionist.
In 2019, the NYCEMF will be presented jointly with the International Computer Music Conference.
Featured performers in 2019 will include:
- Elenora Claps, soprano
- Enzo Filippetti, saxophone
- Jocelyn Ho, piano
- Esther Lamneck, clarinet and tarogato
- Keith Kirchoff, piano
- Madeleine Shapiro, cello
- Maja Cerar, violin
- Marianne Gythfeldt, clarinet
- Patti Cudd, percussion
- Splice Ensemble
Also available for performances are:
- The New York University New Music Ensemble specializing in improvisation with electronic fixed and interactive sonic and visual materials. Their instrumentation is flute, flute/piccolo, flute/altoflute, clarinet, bass clarinet, saxes (soprano, alto, tenor, bari), electric guitar; and piano.
- The New York University Community Orchestra.
- The El Music group (ICMC 2018 ensemble from Korea) will also be joining
us. Their instrumentation is violin, viola, cello, double bass, flute,
clarinet, harp, piano, percussion, and soprano.